Classes begin quarterly
Become a Technology Project Manager in 18 Weeks
Technology has transformed the way organizations work. Today, nearly every project includes a technology component. To be effective in any industry, project managers need to understand how software is developed and what role it plays in meeting a project’s business objectives.
- Through hands-on classes in a convenient part-time format, Rice University Technology Project Management Boot Camp prepares you to effectively lead technology projects across a variety of industries.
- With a project-based curriculum, you’ll gain hands-on training in requirements documentation, test plans, traditional, agile and hybrid methodologies, scrum frameworks, resource planning, and more.*
- By tapping into a wide set of career services like resume and portfolio reviews, interview training, and 1:1 coaching, you’ll be positioned for success as you work to advance in your current career or seek a new opportunity.
- Over the course of 18 weeks, you’ll acquire the skills necessary to sit for the globally recognized Professional Scrum Master™ Level I Certification.
Learn Modern Project Management
You will develop technical fluency — learning how software is developed and maintained so that you can credibly lead technology projects in any industry. The market-driven curriculum covers*:
The Business of Software Development
- Software Development Life Cycle
- Business and Organizational Strategy
- Budgeting, Procurement, and Vendor Management
- Requirements Documentation
- Process Mapping and Modeling
- Test Cases, Test Scenarios, and Test Plans
Traditional Project Management & Waterfall Development
- Project Management Life Cycle
- Project Management Knowledge Areas
- Triple Constraint Theory
- Project Plans
- Risk Register and Risk Matrix
- Quality and Stakeholder Management
Project Management in Operations
- Resource Planning
- Operations Team Communications Matrix
- Maintenance Release Project Scheduling
- Key Performance Indicator Dashboards
- Service Level Agreement Documents
Hybrid Project Management
- Traditional and Agile Methodologies
- Hybrid Project Management Flow
- Gantt Charts
- Work Breakdown Structure (WBS)
- Sprint Boards for Hybrid Projects
- Project Closeout
Agile Methodologies and Scrum Framework
- Agile Manifesto and Agile Principles
- Agile Scrum Framework
- Story Point Estimation
- Scrum Development Team Formation and Roles
- Scrum Ceremonies
- Product and Sprint Backlog Management
- Agile Value-Based Prioritization
- Sprint Reviews and Retrospectives
*The material covered is subject to change. Our academic team adjusts to the market demand.
Gain real-world skills:
Rice University Technology Project Management Boot Camp takes a multidisciplinary approach to developing in-demand technical, leadership, and business management skills. Those who complete the program can expect to be able to:
- Explain each stage of the traditional project management lifecycle and create all documentation required to drive a project plan from initiation to closure.
- Elicit and document business requirements from stakeholders to create a use case activity that will support the four levels in the software testing life cycle.
- Apply agile principles to the working environment to conduct release, capacity, and velocity planning.
- Apply your new skills and knowledge to the Professional Scrum Master™ Level I exam.
- Utilize modern software like Jira, Smartsheet, and G Suite to build project plans and reports.
Frequently Asked Questions
No, you do not need to be a Rice University student to enroll in Rice University Tech Project Management Boot Camp. This program is offered through Rice University’s Susanne M. Glasscock School of Continuing Studies.
No prior experience is required, however it is recommended that applicants hold a bachelor’s degree or have at least two years of experience in business, management, finance, statistics, or a related field.
The program is part-time. You can complete it in 18 weeks.
- 18-week program
- Classes held two weekdays from 6:30-9:30 p.m. and Saturdays from 10 a.m.-2 p.m.
- Part-Time 05/11/21
- Full-Time 09/13/21
- Data Analytics:
- Part-Time 07/12/21
- Part-Time 05/13/21
- Part-Time 06/09/21
- Part-Time 06/29/21
- Digital Marketing:
- Part-Time 05/17/21
- Tech Project Mgmt:
- Part-Time 05/18/21